[Magdalen] Butterfly Grove Motel

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Fri Sep 25 19:54:03 UTC 2015

From: M J [Mike] Logsdon

>>>Although I now use gmail as my primary e'addy, my mail usually gets read
>through my 'windows  live mail' feature, so I'm spared *seeing* the adverts,
>but I don't harbor any illusions that gmail is reading EVERYTHING....<<<

You don’t see the ads, but people who correspond with you (or anyone else) using
Gmail sure do -- in everything from spam to Google searches.

For example, any time anyone on Gmail mentions AA or another xx-step program,
I ]start getting spammed with all manner of rehap and alcohol addiction spam. It
dies down after awhile, but with lots of Gmail users (well beyond here) my spam
folder has grown tremendously -- and most of the subjects are directly or
vaguely related to things discussed in email with Gmail users -- yahoo too, btw.

I've been flooded with ads for roofing companies ever since the discussion of
the Charleston shooter!

Gmail-- contrary to popular opinion, is not free.

What's interesting is that my tastes in sharing and comment on facebook have not
flooded my timetine with junk as many complain. I am amused that all my anti-NRA
memes have resulted in NRA and other gun-nut memes appearing on my timeline,
however.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie