[Magdalen] Starbucks memory - was Whole Foods wins !!!

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 7 22:42:23 UTC 2016

Speaking of coffee (and Starbucks was recently mentioned), I'll never forget the very first time I entered what at the time was the only Starbucks in Salinas -- early 2003.  I walked in, ordered (of course) a "large", and desired that it be "French roast".  The teeny bopper behind the counter appeared speechless until she turned around and identified one of the roasts available that day as "like a French roast...."  To that date, I'd only been in local specialty coffeehouses that grind fresh whatever you want at any given moment.  The idea that a place like Starbucks didn't offer *at least* what I could get literally just down the street in a quainter (and certainly quieter) coffeehouse, was hard for me to imagine as good business.  I remained firm in my order, until I realized I'd left coffeehouse civilization behind when I entered the door that morning.