[Magdalen] Update.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 01:55:03 UTC 2016

Officially at Hewlett Packard Enterprise, we have an open-door policy
that basically says you can talk to anyone you wish about an issue
(your boss's boss, some manager in another business unit, or the CEO
if need be), and retaliation is not to happen and can lead to
termination. Usually there's a caveat that you should work it out
directly with the people involved if possible, but if you believe
another person is the best one to talk to, you can and should.

I'm not naive enough to believe this works perfectly or even works
well for everyone, but it's certainly something we can point to if we
need to explain why we're going over someone's head.

When I was with EDS, our CEO H. Ross Perot would say "Come and see me
if you need to get a problem solved," and I think a lot of people took
him up on that. They'd find him in the employee cafeteria or parking
his car in the regular parking lot. At least those were the legends.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA