[Magdalen] No more attacks on Tim Kaine's faith | Faithful America

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 03:54:19 UTC 2016

I have read about the bungling of the search for alternatives to the old
RCC policy back in the sixties, and found the article linked below. It is
from nearly a quarter-century ago, but its information on the process is
just as accurate today as ever.  Note the finding that one in ten members
of the RCC denomination follow the suggestions of humanae vitae. (and, yes,
surprisingly enough a discussion of the very nature of the Pope's
encyclical is in the article too).

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/01/us/vatican-watershed-a-special-report-papal-birth-control-letter-retains-its-grip.html?pagewanted=all

And in case the url doesn't work:
http://tinyurl.com/jo3qhag

I thought it was intriguing that the thinkers in the RCC are concerned that
use of adherence to H.V. as a litmus test has resulted in poor choices for
leadership positions. And after the issue of H.V., RCC church attendance
fell dramatically.

It would seem they just don't get it.  Sad.  Sort of like the party that
chooses a hopelessly toxic leader, and then can't understand why everybody
thinks they're nuts.

And here is another article of interest, although I assume some will
dismiss it out of hand because it comes from Mother Jones. Whatever....

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2010/05/catholic-church-vatican-bishops-birth-control

The Vatican ignored the recommendations of its panel because they figured a
rethinking -- no matter how justified -- would erode Papal authority.  As
we all now know, the very thing they tried to do to reinforce Papal
authority had the very opposite effect: it discredited for all time Papal
authority for a huge number of members of the RCC. That's a tragedy all
around.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford