[Magdalen] No more attacks on Tim Kaine's faith | FaithfulAmerica

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 22:07:52 UTC 2016

along the lines of the RC being *mystifying*...
The RC churches that have intersected my life in recent decades completely
befuddle me....

I attended 9am mass this morning because 2 months ago I received a formal
'Mass card' in the mail from "the Senior Friends" group at my mom's church,
sent to me by one of the members of the group.  The mass card indicated that
on this date, at 9am, the rector (who was too tied up to officiate at my
mom's memorial) was going to be the celebrant, and the mass was being
offered in my mom's memory, and had been dedicated so, on the card, by the
Senior's group of which she was a member. I did not want to miss this
especially because I knew the group had gone out of their way to do this for
my mom, and I also thought it was nice that the rector was going to be the
celebrant after he could not be at my mom's memorial service.

Mass cards usually are given in the name of someone or in thanksgiving, and
usually a monetary donation is included by the giver to the church or the
clergy person who will say the mass. That is how I understood them from when
my father died in 1975 and on several other occasions that touched my life
in this manner since then.  I went to church today, and the only service was
the 9am daily mass-as-usual. The rector no where in sight. My mom's name was
in the prayers but without definition. I am in the process of getting over
this.

A month after my mom's memorial service I received a form letter in the mail
from mom's church - the envelope was addressed to me, the salutation on the
letter and the reference to my deceased family member were completely
un-personalized. The letter was an invitation to participate, at no cost, in
a 6 week long bereavement group.   I naturally thought that people at this
church must be dying over there in droves for the level of distance and
insensitivity I experienced with this invitation.

I am keeping myself from writing a note to the rector telling him I  missed
him this morning..... : (

Lynn, thankful instead for the caring religious communities and individuals
that I have known and have in  my life.

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr