[Magdalen] Sermons

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 15:37:47 UTC 2016

Most Lutheran churches in this part of the country are German in origin and
many of them are quite old and rather high in terms of liturgy. This
particular congregation is over 150 years old (young in terms of Valley
settlement!) although the building itself is relatively new. The northern
Shenandoah Valley has a heavily Germanic population, as evidenced by both
names on mailboxes (Kagy, Biery, Seitz--all of which, incidentally, are
found in my ancestry--Kline,Hostetter, etc.) and churches (Lutheran,
UCC--probably many of which used to be E&R--Mennonite,Church of the
Brethren). No Norwegian pietists here! I don't know where Pastor Jeff went
to seminary but I do know it wasn't in Minnesota.