[Magdalen] Drug research.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 20:43:41 UTC 2016

Presumably my dear partner's previous psychiatrist had the training
and experience, but I saw firsthand how he dealt with a prescribed
drug not doing its job well or "pooping out." He'd proceed slowly over
to a large cabinet filled with samples, make a snap decision on a drug
to "try," and throw about a dozen sample packets at him. "Here, try
this one...you haven't tried this one yet, have you?" As though they
were light bulbs and he was looking for one that wasn't burnt out...or
something.

That, and the psychiatrist's own apparent poor health (rendering him
barely awake at some appointments) made us determined to get Scott
into the Rush University Medical Center system. And God made that
happen, through a series of miracles including the reduction of an
expected months-long waiting time to less than 24 hours to get an
urgent psychiatric evaluation. He's had excellent care from Rush
psychiatrists since then. It took a visit to Rush's emergency
department when Scott was just steps away from being suicidal. (He had
learned through experience to give a forthright and unequivocal "No"
to the question asking whether he had suicidal thoughts or thoughts of
hurting himself...He nearly got himself admitted to St. Joseph
Hospital on that question previously...he hemmed and hawed and then
was asked the question loudly again, and the consequences of not
denying suicidal ideation were explained in great seriousness.)

Through a series of helpful hospital physicians and then the great
call saying he could get right into the psychiatry department for an
eval, he got what he needed at Rush and continues to do well with them
and his prescribed drugs.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA