[Magdalen] I met Doogie Howser.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Feb 4 18:45:52 UTC 2016

In a message dated 2/4/2016 1:09:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mjl at ix.netcom.com writes:

Biopsies wouldn't hurt a single soul if the medical  professionals would
simply admit the patient to a hospital and knock them out  like they
should.>>>>>>

And are sometimes not necessary.

My family practice residents were always taking review courses to get
them by their yearly evaluation and, eventually, their specialty  boards.
These reviews would inevitably contain some chapters on the skin.
Such tales some of them had to report after their returns from such
courses!

The one I remember as being most notable was a review sponsored by
the famous Hershey Penn State Medical School (yes, in Hershey, PA as in  the
candy bar).  A young dermatologist gave a stirring lecture in which he  made
(to me) the preposterous insinuation that EVERY patient who came into
his office needed/had a skin biopsy.

EVERY?!  Warts, acne, impetigo, etc.?

I think that if this young dermatologist is really doing this, he is
padding his
consultant charge with a surgical biopsy charge.  There is also a  tendency
for extra biopsying secondary to the malpractice crisis.

David Strang - Remembering my departmental chairman always insisting
that dermatologists/etc. "perform" a biopsy and that biopsy should not be
made
into a verb or a noun.

David Strang.