[Magdalen] New Sect.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Fri Feb 19 18:53:02 UTC 2016

On 2/19/16 7:29 AM, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> The church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, David! I occasionally see one of their decals around here. It's a kind of octopussy-looking thing with the letters FSM on it. It's been around for a long time; I think it started as a spoof of serious religions.

I think that it started as a spoof (and probably still is a spoof?) of
Lovecraft's monster-gods, Cthulu the most famous, many of which are sea
creatures with lots of tentacles.  "Arkham, Massachusetts" is the
setting for many of them.  I don't know whether there is really such
town, or whether it's entirely fictional.  I'm sure that its University
is fictional.  It's supposed to be a fishing village right on the ocean,
with stone structures extending into the ocean, like "Super Boathouses"
where the ancient gods and their modern worshipers interact.  I never
got into his stories, even the sight of his name on a magazine "classic
reprint" was enough to turn me away from it, so I'm not sure whether any
of them flew, but I do remember lots of tentacles.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net