[Magdalen] Plant for Dr. Strang

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Feb 23 04:17:45 UTC 2016

In a message dated 2/22/2016 9:37:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jocraddock at gmail.com writes:

But, I  have no clue as to the plant.>>>>>>>

Well, I really don't know, either.  I'm much better with trees  than
with shrubs.

Since the fruit appears to be a drupe, I might hazard a guess that
you are dealing with Sassafras albidum, the common sassafras tree
that grows in much of the eastern half of the USA.  Those fruits
eventually turn a red-blue, and are picked off by birds, etc. for
dispersal.

I think we had a discussion on this list some years ago about the
merits of sassafras honey.

David Strang.