[Magdalen] Mike & Everett face a demon.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 10 18:20:35 UTC 2016

On 10/01/2016 16:32, Jay Weigel wrote:
> Mine did dishes on a rotating basis until we moved to a house with a
> dishwasher. Then I didn't mind it so much. I did make sure, by the time
> they were in middle school (11-12-13), that they learned how to cook the
> basics (burgers, eggs, pasta, etc.) without setting the kitchen on fire.

I think we owe it to our kids to ensure they have basic survival skills
before they leave home.  By that I do not mean how to survive in the
wild but cooking such as you describe, how to use the washing machine
without ruining clothes, how to sow on buttons, etc.

> Sam became a fairly good basic cook and Betsy a fairly creative one. Adam
> didn't do much with his knowledge until he married a woman who couldn't
> cook, and then he became, out of necessity, a pretty decent one. In the
> Guard, he and his buddies operated what they referred to as Cafe Wrench.
> The food was so good guys from other units came by to eat; they charged
> them by the plate.

I assume that they knew how to charge, including something for knowledge
and skill as well as the cost of the ingredients.  That is another
important aspect of survival skills - not being made use of by others.

Prayers for you tomorrow.

Roger