[Magdalen] unwanted 'download 'question

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 18:59:59 UTC 2016

My guess is that you may have uploaded malware.

I recall several times when I was seeking something, I was about to click
download, and suddenly realized that I was not totally sure what it was I
was clicking on.  These sites use deliberate misplacement of buttons to get
you to download one thing when you are seeking something else, and there is
no easy way to tell one from a more prestigious site. I have fallen for
this too.

You say you have uninstalled the program.

Do you mean that you sent to the window within the Control Panel and
uninstalled the program, and all aspects of it?

To make sure, you ought to go to the install window and then get the window
to arrange the items in date order, so that the most recent things are at
the top.

I always have to refamiliarize myself with this because windows labels it
strangely.

Get to control panel, and then click on "PROGRAMS AND FEATURES"

This is the uninstalling window. They could have labelled it such, but I
digress.

You see a list of programs with a description above each column:
NAME      PUBLISHER        INSTALLED ON         SIZE         VERSION

Click on "Installed on" and the programs will display in the order of the
dates in which they were installed. This shows you what got installed
lately.
My guess is that either the malware is cloaked, so it doesn't actually show
up here, or it has some part which is under a different name.
Look for anything that was installed the same day as your culprit was
installed, and uninstall all of these.

If that does not work, you could have a tech uninstall it (money!), or you
can take the name of the malware and google it along with words like
"uninstall" "get rid of" etc.  Chances are you will find some pages
explaining what it is and how to get it gone.

If you can just click on it to close it each time it appears, you might
just be able to live with it, as we live with that evil windows upgrade
that keeps displaying the message that we need to upgrade to windows ten.
As annoying as it can be, it can be lived with....

And, you will discover that someone who also hates unsolicited windows
updates has written a program to disable this upgrade.

I am sorry you are having difficulty with your PC.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford