[Magdalen] Curse on Masons

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:50:27 UTC 2016

I'm also astounded by this Grace - i.e that the so called "curse" is a real
thing attributed to some functionary of the RCC. It sounds madder than Dan
Brown.

I suppose that if he's a Bible Believer you could invite him to find New
Testament Scriptures that give Christians permission to curse people
(trees, we can debate). I do know of a scripture that says "Bless and do
not curse".

So if whoever said the curse was doing it in direct contravention of God's
holy law, including (or especially) the New Testament Covenant of love,
then how can it possibly stand? The merest child could overturn it by
calling on the Name of Jesus.

The rector of our former parish St Martins Bergvliet, Fr Trevor, believed
that he had a special ministry to (ex) Masons and had done a lot of
research. He also considered Masonry to be evil and unhealthily occult for
the most part, but not entirely and he didn't think it was a cult. I would
say it was on the same level of disapproval as, say, Spiritualism?

The church itself was full of Masonic symbolism as it was built by
returning soldiers after WWII and at that time masonry was strong in the
upper echelons of the (English) military. Some people wanted to take out
e.g. The rose Window, some of the other stained glass and so on, but Trevor
took a stand against that.

The construct of long lasting involuntary curse bearing  is one of the most
destructive and abusive of the mental manipulations that fundamentalist
churches engage in. I've been taught in the past that curses attach to
anyone who has messed with the occult (and sometimes their children), and
to those who allow "soul ties" to be formed through having sex with the
wrong people. Amongst other things. Strong themes of sex and satanism, but
much less "teaching" about engaging in things that the New Testament
condemns much more clearly such as hatred, lying, envy, bitterness,
stirring up strife and so on.

I didn't even want to think about having kids for a long time, partly
because I believed that my mother's words, spoken in anger and
bitterness:  "One day you'll have children and you'll find out what it's
like", represented a true and inescapable prediction or type of curse.

But instead, one day, a kind therapist asked me about my plans in this
respect (whilst apologizing that it might be her concern not mine), and out
tumbled this long forgotten but influential piece of crap - duly dealt
with. After that I felt free to make up my own mind. That's grace - taking
the curse and putting a blessing in its place.

If Jesus was "made to be a curse" for us then the Freemasons or whoever are
in good company?

I would be interested to know what ideas this concerned parishioner might
have about a) blessing anyone he happens to know who still is a Mason or
whose ancestors were Masons (that's me as well BTW, my beloved Grampa was a
dedicated FM).

OR - more pertinently - what he thinks we as a Christian community might do
to fill the gap left by the fading away of the Masons and other community
organizations who used to bring people together, raise funds and manage
projects. I'm not a club person myself but I do think that the loss of
these organizations has had very real effects - much as I personally
dislike the sexism and elitism that went with all that.

Sally D