[Magdalen] Curse on Masons

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 07:09:34 UTC 2016

Times have changed. The papal ban dates from 1738, but a telling fact is
that it didn't reach the land (Catholic) where Mozart lived until after his
death.  I suppose they had more important fish to fry. They must not have
cared too much. It was noted in an article I read that Amadeus and his wife
were Masons, and had chosen a lodge noted for honoring Catholic traditions.

When I was growing up in W. Penna. I never heard that RCC folks were in the
Shrine, but the Bishop of Pittsburgh actively encouraged a group entitled
"Knights and Nobles." They were members of the KofC and Shriners who
enjoyed some socializing and working together on charitable causes.  My Dad
thought a lot of Bishop then Cardinal Wright. His fully accepting attitude
toward Masonry obviously didn't harm his "career."

More recently, one of our local district deputy grand masters was a member
of the RCC, and made no effort to hide it, and had never gotten any flack
for it.  It varies with the bishop, but in general, Catholics are not
nearly as controlled as used to be the case.

Times change. In this matter, quite a bit.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford