[Magdalen] Images and words about Mary

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Sat Jan 30 04:12:16 UTC 2016

My problem with the Immaculate Conception is twofold: it makes no sense when yoked to biology (and for me, science and faith are a double helix); and, more importantly, it views sin as contagion -- the Doctrine of Cootification -- which makes nonsense of free will and depends on the dogma that we inherit original sin as a form of Girl Germs.

I have immense respect for the vivid, bold young woman who took God's challenge without a moment's hesitation, risking her future and even her life.  She is the greatest of saints.  But I believe that she went on to have a fruitful and joyous marriage with the man who was willing to take God's Son on faith and to be his earthly abba.

I understand the poetic desire to gussy up Mary, but too much of that is rooted in misogyny.  "Alone of all her sex she pleased the Lord" -- not on yer life, buster.

Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain