[Magdalen] Wow! Watch sandstorm reshape dunes | Earth | EarthSky

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sat Jul 16 01:31:09 UTC 2016

On 6/25/16 10:56 AM, M J _Mike_ Logsdon wrote:
> night skies are virtually empty to us in much of our land, we have
> largely lost that sense of awe and wonder about the universe that used
> to be triggered by merely looking up at night.<<<
>
> Indeed.  Many years ago in So Cal I knew a fellow who'd taken his family to Arizona or somesuch for a vacation, and during the first night there his little girl started crying and shaking.  "What's wrong, honey?"  She pointed up ... at the stars.  She'd never seen them before.

Cradle Californians are envied by many, but they do miss out on a lot.
When my husband was eleven, his mother moved him from here to Long
Beach.  He was out playing with a bunch of other kids around his age,
when it thundered.  The Kansas kid wasn't bothered.  The kids he was
with panicked, thought they were hearing an A-bomb.  They'd never heard
thunder before.  I understand that California doesn't have lightning
bugs, either.

Have you ever read the SF classic "Nightfall"?  I think it's by Asimov.
  It's about a world where the stars are only visible one night in a
thousand years.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net