[Magdalen] Another Casualty.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 22 22:42:33 UTC 2016

On 22/07/2016 21:34, Marion Thompson wrote:
> The Revd Matthew Cadwell, who is Co-President of the EDS Alum.
> Executive Committee, has posted a long letter from the Cttee on FB.
> It sounds like the Bd of Trustees did a precipitous end run without
> full consultation or agreement.

I must admit that when I saw this news I wondered about what was going
on, particularly as regards students who are about to start or for whom
the next year will not be their final scheduled year of study.
Provision should have been made for them to complete the course for
which they enrolled or it would be a case of an unchristian leaving them
in the lurch.  This side of the pond when seminaries have closed
appropriate provision has been made for students to complete their
course.  In the first case with which I am familiar one college was
combined with another, initially on the two sites and then in the second
and final year of transition on the one site, which is where I was.
Incoming students were enabled to start on the new combined site, which
is where I had started.

Some decades later there was another cutting back leading to the closure
of that college but there was a gradual winding down which allowed
existing students to complete their courses before final closure. What I
have heard of the EDS decision suggests that such consideration of the
needs of students has not been forthcoming.

Roger