[Magdalen] Hate to think about the bill

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Fri Jul 29 15:01:22 UTC 2016

Oh, my, Roger! This is exactly what happened to me when out hiking not quite
two years ago - ruptured right quadriceps tendon. And they say it's a hard
thing to do! I was at least a little mobile after the injury as I had a
hiking pole which could help, since as soon as the leg bent, I collapsed, as
that tendon is needed to straighten the leg out. I didn't get the "all hands
on deck" treatment you did - first a couple of park rangers, and then the
local ambulance with a one-wheeled stretcher. I was x-rayed at the local
hospital (not 5 miles from the park where the injury occurred) and sent home
with a brace locking my leg straight - just what you have now. Surgery
wasn't until about ten days later, and it was day surgery.

They've probably told you something of your expected progress. You'll have
the brace on, completely straight, for a week or so, and then they'll let
you gradually bend it more and more. You'll likely be "mostly" all better in
maybe 4 months. I forget how long it was before I was able to drive - a few
weeks, anyway. I was able to travel just ten days or so after surgery,
however, to my m-in-l's burial in Florida. Only difficulty was obtaining
airplane seating where you could stretch you leg out straight.

So, be prepared for lots of physical therapy and exercises at home. But you
will get completely better - it'll just take awhile.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com