[Magdalen] Brexit 2nd vote?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 26 06:49:19 UTC 2016

On 26/06/2016 06:35, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> What is interesting is that the UK clearly has a system to follow,
> whether they decide on a 'do over' or move forward.... the remainder
> of the EU wants them to leave *now*.... Strikes me that each country
> does have a different governance structure with various nuances, and
> so this is the first time that a country *wants* to leave, and it will
> be a new circumstance that will have it's own wobbles associated with
> it no matter who wants what when.

Leaving now is not an option as the Clause 50 procedure specifies 2
years between formally indicating a wish to leave and it taking full
effect.  During the interim the government in question is not involved
in policy discussions but the membership is still effective for such
things as trade and movement of people. What the EU leaders are saying
is basically "You have said you want to leave, file the divorce papers
now rather than later." David Cameron has said (rightly in my opinion)
the timing is a decision for his successor who would have to see the
negotiations through.

Roger