[Magdalen] Groceries?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed May 4 16:22:18 UTC 2016

In the 1990s during visits to friends in Manhattan, it seemed
groceries were bought mainly from small independent shops in the
neighborhood at quite a price premium. If you're throwing a dinner
party, you'd have to visit a butcher shop or fishmonger, plus a
produce stand, which might sell bread as well, etc.

I've heard of Target and a few other retailers having opened places in
Manhattan, but I'm not sure.

In Chicago (not anywhere near as dense as Manhattan), we've got urban
versions of area supermarket chains, sometimes as part of the retail
lower levels of highrise condo/apartment buildings. These urban
versions take the acres of parking typical of suburban supermarkets
and either do without them (and rely on foot traffic) or have parking
on the roof or in a designated part of the building's indoor garage.
So the store itself comes right up to the sidewalk rather than being
set way back beyond the sea of parking spaces.

Some grumbled loudly when Louis Sullivan's historic Carson Pirie Scott
department-store building became a CityTarget, but having a general
department store with full-ish grocery department is a godsend for the
increasing population of Chicago's Loop, especially the tens of
thousands of university students. CityTarget is a nice store, too.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA