[Magdalen] For Ann Markle - black Madonna of Montserrat

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed May 11 18:07:00 UTC 2016

In a message dated 5/11/2016 1:47:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu writes:

Yes,  Eleanor, I have been to Montserrat.  She is a beauty, indeed.   They
call her "La Moreneta" in common parlance -- "The Little Brown  One."  I
love that.  People who have black madonnas are fiercely  loyal to and fond
and proud of them -- often they think "theirs" is the  only black madonna in
existence.  Our hotelier in Barcelona (FABULOUS  city, incidentally -- I
highly recommend it) was surprised to learn that  there are dozens all  over

Probably the most revered Black Madonna is Our Lady of Czestochowa
in Poland, whom some have referred to as the President of Poland,  such
is her popularity.

I still have my brass pilgrim's medal - it's about 5" in diameter with  a
leather strap.   I still wear it on occasion to Marian  feasts.  I've tried
for years to buy the wooden replica of the Basilica belonging to a  friend,
without success.

Her feast day, 26th August, has to be seen to be believed.

David Strang.