[Magdalen] Friedrich von Huene (20 Feb. 1929 – 8 May 2016)

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat May 14 05:27:49 UTC 2016

         Friedrich von Huene (20 Feb. 1929 – 8 May 2016)

One of the legends of the Early Music World has passed the baton to a new
generation.  Friedrich von Huene died on May the eighth.  He was the
founder and prime mover of Von Huene Workshop and Early Music Shop of New
England.

He is best known as one of the finest recorder makers in the world. The
list of his accomplishments are awesome. I recall once visiting a music
shop in Germany and seeing the displays for Moeck (he was largely
responsible for their very successful Rottenburgh line) and so forth, and
then the very best recorders – von Huene’s. A few years ago, another
legend, LaNoue Davenport, commented that “all of the finest recorder
players have his instruments.” The family continues the tradition.

However, he was interested in other areas of music. I remember attending a
small one-day workshop in upstate New York where he was the main leader. I
remember a very soft-spoken kindly man with interesting thoughts and a
sense of humor.  I also have some music I got that day which I still turn
back to from time to time.

He will be greatly missed, but his memory will be a blessing to all who
take his example as a model to inspire them to strive for the best that is
in them.

This will not mean anything to some of you, but to some of you, it will.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford