[Magdalen] Friedrich von Huene (20 Feb. 1929 – 8 May 2016)

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Wed May 18 06:50:53 UTC 2016

Just saw this - my thanks for posting it.

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 12:27 AM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford <
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com> wrote:

>          Friedrich von Huene (20 Feb. 1929 – 8 May 2016)
>

> One of the legends of the Early Music World has passed the baton to a new
> generation.  Friedrich von Huene died on May the eighth.  He was the
> founder and prime mover of Von Huene Workshop and Early Music Shop of New
> England.
>

> He is best known as one of the finest recorder makers in the world. The
> list of his accomplishments are awesome. I recall once visiting a music
> shop in Germany and seeing the displays for Moeck (he was largely
> responsible for their very successful Rottenburgh line) and so forth, and
> then the very best recorders – von Huene’s. A few years ago, another
> legend, LaNoue Davenport, commented that “all of the finest recorder
> players have his instruments.” The family continues the tradition.

 I had/have a set of Moeck rothenburgh recorders. Thanks to Uncle Sam, I
lived in Heidelberg in the early 70's. My recorders all came from Musikhaus
Hochstein on Heidelberg's Hauptstrasse.
Prices were very reasonable. My alto was DM300, which was about $120. It
now lists at $700, depending on the dealer.

(Sold my soprano a few years ago but still have a sopranino and alto in
Rosewood (palisander) with ivory trim (we didn't know then about the animal
trade problems), and a tenor in maple. Am wishing my arthritis didn't make
it so difficult to play any more.

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted