[Magdalen] Friedrich von Huene (20 Feb. 1929 – 8 May 2016)

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed May 18 21:31:34 UTC 2016

My all-time fav' alto is a Palisander Rottenburgh, and I also have the
tenor in the same model. I just managed to get one of the last tenors still
made with ivory rings. That was my first major instrument purchase. I took
about two years, looking at various instruments, playing this one and that
one. I found a boxwood one that was marvelous, but it was also handmade and
out of my price range.  One day as a workshop the von Huene Early Music
shop was in attendance and I tried a bunch of instruments.  This (rather
unassuming, actually) rosewood or Palisander model just felt like it was
made for me. I've been playing it for ages, and it's never disappointed
me.  It has taken me to the highest notes of the range with assurance and
delightful clarity.  Makes me regret that I ever put the instrument down
(while earning my M.Div., something had to give), and that I didn't take
classes earlier.

I was lukewarm toward my tenor for decades, but I now have developed the
chops to play it fairly well, and love it dearly.  These are especially
precious instruments because Friedrich v. Huene designed the Rottenburgh
line for Moeck about forty years ago.  Goodness, what a splendid job he
did!  Thank you, from me and thousands of other amateurs, Friedrich!!

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford