[Magdalen] Friedrich von Huene (20 Feb. 1929 – 8 May 2016)

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Wed May 18 23:07:48 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 4:31 PM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford <
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com> wrote:

> My all-time fav' alto is a Palisander Rottenburgh, and I also have the
> tenor in the same model. I just managed to get one of the last tenors still
> made with ivory rings.

I tried to get one in Palisander, but I went to the store the weekend
before I left the FRG to return to the states. All they had in stock was
the maple, not that's it not a nice instrument.

> That was my first major instrument purchase. I took
> about two years, looking at various instruments, playing this one and that
> one. I found a boxwood one that was marvelous, but it was also handmade and
> out of my price range.

I had that feeling at the Dolmetsch school in the summer of '76. Great
instruments, but very dear.

> I was lukewarm toward my tenor for decades, but I now have developed the
> chops to play it fairly well, and love it dearly.

I like my tenor but the arthritis is taking its toll and it's hard to
stretch to reach the finger holes.

> These are especially
> precious instruments because Friedrich v. Huene designed the Rottenburgh
> line for Moeck about forty years ago.

That would make mine some of the very early models, purchased from '73 -
'76.

> Goodness, what a splendid job he
> did!  Thank you, from me and thousands of other amateurs, Friedrich!!

Isn't that the truth,

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted

Virus-free.
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>