[Magdalen] Spicy pickles (again, but simpler :-)=

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 30 06:24:17 UTC 2016

>>>As for the railroad spur, it's all been turned into trails for small vehicles and for hiking.  Better that, I guess, than just getting overgrown and disappearing entirely.
Still, I miss the belching smoke of the steam engines.<<<

I hear you about the "better that" scenario.  But overgrown and well-known to historians for local wanderings, is also good.  But, alas, only if remembered.

I have a smaller, much-less-significant version.  Though close to my local heart.  There were two movie drive-ins in Salinas until no longer needed by the industry, and one of them was just inside the West Salinas boundary (Hwy 101), and which eventually had a movie theatre built on the property with a BIG parking lot behind, which was the drive-in of yore.  I went there a goodly many years ago to see a movie, and took my friend I was with on a tour of the back lot, where the undulating pavement and holes in the ground for what were the speaker stands remained, not to mention the obvious back patch where the screen was, next to the blank patch where was the obligatory playground for the kiddies.  I plan on going back there someday, even though the new building is now a church ("It's not a religion; it's a relationship!").  But I have no reason not to believe the back lot still undulates, and the occasional curcular stub still shows in the pavement.

I saw "Star Wars" there, for my 12th birthday, in 1977.  Well, the last two-thirds of it, anyway, as the line to get in was so long I had to see the first third as a silent, from the back seat of my parents' 1965 Buick LaSabre.