[Magdalen] Railroads

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue May 31 16:17:07 UTC 2016

In a message dated 5/31/2016 10:18:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
revegger at gmail.com writes:

I've  been by Rush City many a time on the drive from Duluth to Mipples.
We
used to wonder if it was founded by hippies ("What a rush!"), and  it
remains one of those places you have to pronounce  s-l-o-w-l-y.>>>>>>>>>>

In the 1880's there was competition for the location of the Grantsburg  spur
because it was thought that this was the beginning of an east-west  railroad
that would go across the State of Wisconsin with connections to the  Great
Lakes.  The other town in the running was, as I recall, Pine City,  MN.  In
the end, Rush City got the nod.

In those days rail connection was tantamount to achieving high speed
internet services.  Once a community had rails, they could go  anywhere.

There was a small Episcopal church in Rush City, and in my younger
years there was MP three Sundays and then a supply priest would do
communion once per month.

As with so many tiny congregations, it closed years ago.

I think Rush was a founder's name, but I'm unable to clarify that.

There are currently 3,000+ inhabitants.  I suspect that the
establishment of yet another MN prison there in 2000 has given the
town an economic boost.

David Strang.