[Magdalen] Elections and sermons

Arthur Laurent ALaurent at npr.org
Mon Nov 14 02:46:39 UTC 2016

Of course you know it was the electors in the various states and commonwealths for whom we cast our votes, not the candidates themselves.  'Tis the electors who will cast the votes in the Electoral College, and then declare the winner. Shockingly, I knew, NOT the political commentators of various stripes and colorations. Only THEN shall we have a President-Elect. (I'm sure I still won't like whomever it may be.)

I'm guessing this time is rather like retail merchants (and small children everywhere) who try to hurry through Labor Day, All Saints' Day, All Souls' Day and Thanksgiving Day, in order to get to Christmas Day. All the children all so sure there are amazing riches under the Christmas Tree, instead of the coal and switches they have worked so hard for all year.

Arthur

(BTW, our rector preached on the reading from Isaiah 65:17-2, "the new heavens and the new earth..." rather than the NT reading or the Gospel. I've always loved Isaiah.)