[Magdalen] Two questions for the assembled multitude

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 05:19:48 UTC 2016

On Sun,  Nov 27, 2016 at 8:22 PM, Arthur Laurent <ALaurent at npr.org>  wrote:
> My two (or three) questions for this Sunday:
>
>  1.  When did the Episcopal Church begin using Blue instead of Purple as
the color for Advent? Why Blue?

> 2.   Why does the  Body come before the Blood not only in consecration,
but in consuming, as  well?  Why not the other way around (sometimes or
always)?

> Thanks for any  enlightenment.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The monsignor of the downtown RCC uses blue for Advent.  He also
uses a full "Jacobian" frontal during the season.  I asked him once  why
the blue, and he said "It's Sarum."

I've heard that excuse for a number of unusual liturgical innovations  in
the past in Episcopal churches, but never elsewhere in the Roman  Church.

Re: Body and Blood.  The order is just customary.  This reminds  me of
pet peeve I have about the '79 Episcopal Prayer Book.  Why was  it
necessary to change the wording of the Prayer of Humble Access
to make sure Episcopalians wouldn't think there are separate  functions
for the Body and the Blood.  Did the prayer book reformers think
Episcopalians were so dumb to think literally: (1) Body = made clean  and
(2) Blood = washing the soul?

David S.