[Magdalen] Two questions for the assembled multitude

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 02:21:35 UTC 2016

We didn't pray the Great Litany yesterday as has been our tradition on
Advent 1 and Lent 1. Our clergy have explained that the Litany was
composed as a litany of penitence for Henry VIII when he was at war
with Scotland and France; it is understood as uniquely Anglican and
uniquely Lenten. "The present prevailing liturgical view is that while
penitence may be a valuable element of our Advent preparation, it is
only one feature of it."

I'm fine with this approach. I was also a bit relieved to see we
wouldn't be praying the Litany in procession, as it was the first
Sunday for our new subdeacon whom I trained, and I was thinking, "Oh,
great..I teach him the Solemn Mass ceremonial, and he gets to start
with something we haven't even discussed--a solemn procession." Glad
he got to start with the Mass we practiced; the main difference was
the lack of a Gloria in excelsis.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA