[Magdalen] The Exorcist at Ascension Chicago

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 23:09:25 UTC 2016

The first scenes filmed at our church premises will be seen in this
Friday night's episode of the Fox network's The Exorcist. They've been
back three further times to film there. Geena Davis was on location
last time (at least)! Their trailers took up a whole block of Clark
Street.

We've been assured the scenes at Ascension are not of the ghastly
disturbing kind. Just ominous, I think. I think the current clip shows
a nun being punched (by someone prompted by a demon, no doubt).

News of the filmings has been included in our weekly email blast, but
we're not organizing Exorcist-watching parties or putting up
projection TV setups in the parish hall. Folks can find and watch it
on their own, or not. I don't think the newsletter has even included
times and channels. Those who want to will find it; those who don't
needn't feel we're all getting on a bandwagon to push demonic
blood-and-barf (and worse) imagery on everyone. A staff member asked
if there was blood and vomit in the show. I said "It's The Exorcist.
There's pee as well." He said, "Ew." I left out the removal of a
crawly...never mind.

We did provide the parish hall for the crew's breakfast and lunch
breaks. And we're getting paid every time they film at the church, of
course, so that's helping with some budget issues.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA