[Magdalen] The Exorcist at Ascension Chicago

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 23:56:08 UTC 2016

This is reminding me of an episode of "Nothing Sacred," an unfortunately
short-lived TV series back in the '90s. It was about a Roman Catholic
parish in the inner city with a young pastor who had been a rock musician
in his younger years and was now very much an activist, very much involved
in the life of the neighborhood.  One episode was about a movie company
coming in to use the church for filming. There was much discussion among
the staff about the appropriateness of this, but the income from it was
much needed, so they finally decided it would be all right. As it turned
out, however, the film was to include some disturbing and even Satanic
material, and during the filming of one such scene the priest walked in and
went ballistic, throwing them all out.

That series didn't last very long, thank to protests by a number of
conservative Catholics and even Evangelicals--I think only 9 of the
originally planned thrteen episodes ever aired. I taped many of them; I
thought they were very well done and addressed some important issues.
There was an especially powerful one set around Hallowe'en.  The church had
a tradition of having a huge bonfire at the end of the evening, and a
senior priest proclaiming the prayer commonly known as "St. Patrick's
Breastplate." It was powerful, and I still pull it out and watch it every
once in awhile..

--
Grace Cangialosi
Ruckersville, VA

*"Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great
love."*
*St. Teresa of Calcutta*