[Magdalen] Ten More Days

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 13:37:09 UTC 2016

I voted early, in our local public library, and used an electronic
touchscreen device. There were 93 choices to be made, for president,
U.S. senator, U.S. representative, state legislators, local water
authority, and a vote of "yes" or "no" on each of 60 judges: "yes" to
allow them to stay in office; "no" to remove them. 60% "no" votes are
required to remove, and it pretty much never happens. I vote "no" on
all as a protest against this system and to move any stinkers one vote
closer to removal. Speeds up the voting process as well. I've been
told that's a "thoughtless" approach, but I feel strongly about the
principles behind it. What's thoughtless (and possibly racist) is
voting "yes" for those with apparently Irish surnames, as a study has
found those judges do better than the others.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA