[Magdalen] Coffee Cups vs Wine Glasses

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 21:48:36 UTC 2016

Ah Allan, I love your post (perhaps because I am, at the moment, drinking an
afternoon wake-me-up coffee at the computer (where I've managed not to ever
spill and it is still in a mug as I type).

...and now for a few observations <gdr>

Allan> However, it looks to me that both the cup and the glass are half full
in the experiment.

Lynn: Ah, so it's a philosophical statement not a physics thing! <more gdr>

Allan> Anyway, how many of you (like me) would have picked the wine glass as
having less stable liquid, because of the way it sloshes around in the
round container?

I would have picked the wine glass not due to possible scientific posit (or
experiment) but due to the focused carefulness of the action of carrying a
wine glass under the usual circumstances of it being done while drinking an
alcoholic beverage (full, semi-full, under the influence, walking, standing,
etc, etc, etc), a 'learned behavior' that would carry over regardless of
contents.

Is 'stable liquid' in the eye of the beholder, the taste buds of the
consumer or the latitude of the scientist?

Lynn

ps. admitting I've not yet read details of actual experiment

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr