[Magdalen] Where is home? (was Re: RIP Dorothy Mengering, 95.)

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 13:30:22 UTC 2017

My parents moved several times after I grew up, so I don't really have a
"home town", even. Madison, which is as much a one as I had,  has changed
so much I don't even recognize it, and I'd never move back. It takes itself
FAR too seriously now, and then there's the weather.....ugh. But in 2001, I
did get the special treat of getting to see the inside of the house I
(mostly) grew up in. We'd thought to only take pictures of the outside, but
the gentleman who lived there came out and asked why we were doing so, and
when I told him I'd lived there as a child, he invited us in for a
lookabout. He was a delighted to learn some history of the place, and
laughed uproariously at the story of my brother, the rubber band gun, and
the tomato soup. He was also pleased to learn that a wall which divided the
front bedrooms was not load-bearing. I was able to tell him that because
that had been a large single room when we lived there. They were thinking
of removing that wall. I don't know who put it up in the first place; it
wasn't my dad!