[Magdalen] Interesting perspective on BCP revision

Bob Rea petard at petard.us
Wed Apr 26 21:59:23 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:36:00 PM M J _Mike_ Logsdon wrote:
> Having survived a '28 stint (and a Tridentine one, to boot), I wonder -- now
> -- why there need be such angst over Prayer Book revision.  The answer, as
> far as I see it, is simple:  in terms of revising the '79 (either
> drastically or not so), just let those parishes that choose to continue
> using the '79 do so, just like how there are numerous examples of
> mainstream parishes that are allowed to use the '28 unhindered.  As, I'm
> sure, also happens Over There with the 1662, or Up There with the 1962 (I
> believe I recall the Prayer Book Society calling Canada's 1962 as the "last
> of the traditional Prayer Books").
>
> I suppose the angst comes in with the fact that many Traditionalists can't
> stand the idea of having to swallow the idea that their Church would dare
> to do any revising at all, even if still allowed to use the older
> version(s).  Or maybe it's the "allowed" bit that pisses them off most.

When I was in Cornwall for a few days I went to the Eucharist at the local
parish. It was very old-fashioned. I suppose I mentioned that because the
priest reminded me that out there on the edge, the first BCP was not well
received, to the point of an armed revolution against it and that one priest
was slain for using it.

--
Bob Rea
www.petard.us