[Magdalen] Interesting perspective on BCP revision

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 26 22:37:02 UTC 2017

>>>Roger, who is not particularly looking forward to a couple of Sundays
where I will be presiding at 1662 Eucharists as the main Sunday service
in that church. I find it very priest-heavy with the congregation
basically sitting there as recipients.<<<

Reminds me when in 1999 the parish I was at at the time celebrated the 450th BCP anniversary by doing the main service with the 1549 Holy Communion as printed in the then-current issue of the Prayer Book Society journal.  Anyone who could read rubrics (and understand them) could have followed along properly with essentially shut mouths, but huge swaths of those present just couldn't help themselves and joined in whenever they were used to via their limited knowledge of the standardly used '79.

Consequently, when a year later I was master of ceremonies at the 50th parish anniversary (presided over by parish founder the late Rev Jerry Politzer, LEM'd by yours truly), I made sure to come out before things got started and give a brief introduction to the '28 Holy Communion I'd printed up specifically for that day (including the very hymns that were sung at the very first service in 1950 in East Salinas in a WWII airport quonset hut), warning folk to pay close attention to where they were supposed to join in and when not, as "back then, there was much less 'audience participation' than there is now".