[Magdalen] Religious in the family (wasGinny Wilder called to St. Anne's, Winston-Salem)

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 15:44:17 UTC 2017

Mike M said:
"It's odd, you know.  I am not sure why one should be any more proud of a
family member of friend becoming a priest than one becoming something else,
say an artist, doctor, mechanic, or whatever.  But I am guilty.  A great
niece of mine is soon to be ordained a priest in the Anglican Church of
Canada..............and I think that is very special, indeed.
​"

and ME commented:
​"​
Good Catholics pray for vocations every day,
and nothing gives such a sense of relief and pride
as raising a son or daughter who is a priest or religious.

A strong part of my childhood, full of power and mystery.
​"

My brother's stepdaughter converted to Catholicism after she married a nice
Italian Catholic boy, although she commented at the time, "I don't really
feel part of the Roman Catholic Church so much. but I do feel part of St.
Francis." (St. Francis was their parish--and I kind of get that, having
visited the RC church here and gotten *extremely* positive vibes from it)
They had two kids, Lily and John Joseph, and when Lily was around 12, she
confided to her parents that she felt a strong call to the priesthood. They
knew this was impossible in the Catholic church and after much discussion
between themselves and with her they left St. Francis and began attending a
local Episcopal church where they knew Lily's possible/probable vocation
would be honored. Unfortunately I have no idea of the outcome as I
completely lost track of them when my brother and his wife divorced. :( My
parents retained contact with them until they both slipped into dementia.
My brother does not speak of his former wife unless prodded and I don't
feel like asking.
​