[Magdalen] Tragedy in Charlottesville

Louise Laughton llaug2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 20:21:33 UTC 2017

Four sisters, now in their 30s and 40s, grew up next door to us in Syracuse. Two of them now live in NC because their husbands work in the Research Triangle. One of the two in is married to a man from the small, Piedmont NC county where my father grew up and where our family goes back pretty much to the beginning of settlement there. She/they live in Hillsboro and she refers to it as “the Raleigh area.” In my six childhood years in Raleigh, and later back there for college from Morehead City, Hillsboro was a road trip. And, speaking of RC cathedrals and the Raleigh of yesteryear, I remember the stone RC church, relatively small, with the school next door, on Hillsboro Street. The nuns in “penguin” habits seemed exotic. The other of the two sisters in NC lives in Cary. Her husband is from Buffalo. Cary was a very small, self-contained town some miles from Raleigh in my childhood, although suburbia began creeping that way not long after WWII ended. I gather that Cary now is a definitely upscale community, as is Apex.