[Magdalen] Charleston Receipt.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Aug 28 18:36:28 UTC 2017

Though much of my television watching has been on the subject
of the terrible Texas floods, I did, for comic relief, watch some PBS
cooking shows last night.

One such show featured the cuisine of Charleston, SC, and the
two traditional cookbooks (the red, and the blue) that are the
standard for that City.

What was surprising is that the interviewees credited the early  African
American cooks as being responsible for underlying Charleston  cuisine.

Another surprise was the mellow Southern accent which I would call
a variety of Standard American English, and that their accent was
mostly rhotic.

I would have expected a much more pronounced Southern accent,
which is non-rhotic.  I suppose the ladies interviewed were  upper
crust socially, and that may have tempered their accent.

It was clear a number of Episcopal churches were involved in
Charleston cuisine, but clear identification of these churches was
avoided except for a "Grace Church."

Anyway, Charleston cuisine appears to be yummy.

David S.