[Magdalen] Resurrections.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Dec 25 19:18:51 UTC 2017

I no longer drive in these mountains at night, especially in the winter (there was light
snow after nine PM last night).  Instead I arranged for a Eucharistic minister to bring me
my Christmas Communion this morning, and lounged in my chair in front of the blazing
fireplace while I watched the choral concert and then Solemn Ponifical Mass from the
USA National Basilica on Christmas Eve.

I've  guessed for some time that the music and liturgy from that largest of the USA
Roman Catholic churches is without parallel in the Roman Church in the USA at this
time.  Where else can one find a fully professional choir of about 50 voices, a chamber
orchestra with brass sextet and the mammoth Wicks installation in the rear gallery?  The
"competition" last night, for example was Saint Patrick's Cathedral, NYC, and the
Papal Mass at Saint Peter's, Rome.  Musically, at least, there was no comparison.

In any case the music was wonderful, and the Liturgy was very well done at the
National Basilica (The National Basilica of the Immaculate Conception).

There were the trends I noted from the Basilica this past Holy Week:

(1) Resurrection of Sanctus bells; (2) Resurrection of the six servers (all boys)
with torches for the consecration; (3) Resurrection of plainchant (the Ordinary was
straight out of Liber Usualis). ; the chant was "plain" or embellished with organum
and/or four part choral sections: (4) Resurrection of hymn arrangements and
anthems out of the Oxford books.

It was a nice Christmas Eve for an octogenarian who needs to remain at home
after the traditional shrimp, scallops, and fish of late afternoon.

David Strang - In the Poconos of Pennsylvania USA.