[Magdalen] Diet whine

cady soukup cadyasoukup at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 19:19:41 UTC 2017

Although I am unable to tolerate spelt, I could for a while. It's not
difficult to work with, almost exactly like wheat, and works well in
bread machines. It seems odd that a sourdough starter somehow
alleviates the problems with a wheat-like protein. There is a great
bakery in Albuquerqe, NM that makes spelt sourdough bread - I had a
friend there who would send me a loaf every 6 months or so back when I
could tolerate it. I've lost all wheat/spelt, rye, barley, oatmeal,
and (of all things) sesame seeds.

Protein allergies are weird - I cannot do mammal dairy because of a
*protein* problem, NOT a lactose problem. Not fun.

I have 2 types of reactions, one of which is mast-cell-based
(anaphylactic shock type of reaction) and one of which is gut based
(uncontrollable, NOT socially acceptable). They're both pretty quick,
so I know if something is not well. It's enough of a kicker to remind
me not to do that again.

The best gluten-free bread I've found out & about is from Canyon
Bakehouse - it's in the Safeway freezer section in Culpeper (and in
Wegman's) so it can't be too exotic. Unfortunately, some of the types
of their bread have honey, so you'd have to read the ingredients
(something I do all the time; if I cannot read the ingredients, I do
not eat it - a simple rule that has kept me safe & all around me
sane).
http://canyonglutenfree.com/

Giving up veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, sugar snap beans, onions,
garlic) and fruits (stone fruits, etc.) would be difficult for me.
Unfortunately, once my body decides I shouldn't have something - it's
EASY to give it up!!! I've had to give up wine and most liquor - the
results are too dire to contemplate. Even I can learn if presented
with a near-immediate reaction (although it can take time to sort out
what caused it this time). It's interesting to see how uncomfortable
it makes a good wait staff at a restaurant to have a whole table
chowing down on appetizers while I sit & watch. Mike Mahoney got to
watch while it happened on Thursday night at the DioVA convention -
the wait staff brought me cut-up cucumbers to use in their hummus dip,
something I couldn't do because of the sesame seeds, but it was a nice
thought.

About the a-fib - there are minor versions of a-fib and there are the
go-to-the-hospital-now versions (I squeaked out of go-to-the-hospital
on my first trip to the new cardiologist). I hover somewhere on the
latter side upon occasion; it's exhausting and worrisome (kind of like
sitting with the epipen and trying to figure out if I need to use it
now, or if I can wait another minute or two).

Experimentation - data-based experience - the only way to eat. Change
is possible!

hugs - Cady