[Magdalen] The Media.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 05:03:32 UTC 2017

Some of my ancestors were, um, kicked out of their native Scotland by the
damn Brits who didn't see the humor in barn lightings and cattle liftings,
never mind that their subjects on the other side of the border were doing
the same thing. They stayed in Ulster for awhile, but when it looked like
opportunities might be better in the colonies, they left without a backward
glance. Others had left earlier, having got on the wrong side of wars of
succession. English ancestors were mostly interested in the economics of
the place and emigrated on that account, although there seem to have been a
few religious refugees mixed in. It was my Dutch ancestor who was the
primary religious emigrant. The German part of the family came in the great
Palatine migration about which Tom Rightmyer knew so much. Most of those
were economic emigrants, but I suspect there may have been some religious
background to mine.