[Magdalen] Song of Mary

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 10:31:55 UTC 2017

I think that is the practice known as the early service and the late
service.  We used to do that back in the day when we were mostly morning
prayer people.  Having identical services makes sense. I would bet that the
actual liturgy at each service was different, however.  Also, the early
service usually has less people, and it also has less or no music, because
a volunteer choir usually is not asked to sing for back-to-back services,
although I've known it to happen. The early service tends to go a lot
faster, but the lessons and hymns (if any) are the same, of course. Today,
we have the "schizoid" prayer book, so we can have the "primitive" language
service as the early service, a modern language service as the later one,
so the actual liturgy will be different, but that's very new deal
altogether. Back in the day, service bulletins were typed by hand, and so
it really made sense to have one pattern for both services, so the bulletin
could serve for either of them. But then, back in the day, there really was
no reason for the services to be different anyway. I would not be surprised
if they automatically omitted a lesson from the bulletin for the early
service, perfectly acceptable, and just glossed over some features.  They
knew they weren't getting any visitors for the early service, so all those
in attendance knew the drill....

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 3:58 AM, Roger Stokes <roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com