[Magdalen] Jury Duty Anyone?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Jul 13 16:53:42 UTC 2017

There has been a trial of a previously convicted murderer
who stabbed anew a  federal prison guard to death in one of the
regional federal prisons.

The sentiment in the local media is for using
the  death penalty, because the man is already in
prison for life.  However, the jury could not agree on this, and
he was awarded another life imprisonment.

I was appalled today to read front page, the names of the jurors for  this
trial, and a list of how they voted.  It turns out that there was  only
one juror against the death penalty.  Her name was printed,  along
with the apparent reason for her vote:  "She has a son currently
imprisoned".

Over and beyond any discussion of the death penalty itself, I'm
wondering how frequently jury information is made so public, in
this case by a US federal court (Scranton).

It would strike me as opening up the jurors to retribution, and
would likely have a negative impact on willingness to serve on  jury duty.

David S.