[Magdalen] Jesus can only reveal hinself in wheat.... ???

Susan Hagen susanvhagen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 19:02:44 UTC 2017

I think George says it best.

THE HOLY COMMUNION
George Herbert

O GRATious Lord, how shall I know
Whether in these gifts thou bee so

As thou art everywhere ?
Or rather so as thou alone
Tak'st all the Lodging, leaving none

For thy poore creature there.

First I am sure, whether Bread stay,
Or whether Bread doe fly away,

Concerneth Bread, not mee;
But that both thou and all thy traine

Bee there, to thy truth and my gaine,

Concerneth mee and Thee.

And if in comming to thy foes

Thou dost come first to them, that showes

The hast of thy good will.

Or if that thou two stations makest.
In Bread and mee, the way thou takest

Is more, but for mee still.

Then of this also I am sure.

That thou didst all those pains endure

To abolsh Sinn, not Wheat.
Creatures are good and have their place.
Sinn onely, which did all deface.

Thou drivest from his seat.

I could beleeve an Impanation

At the rate of an Incarnation,

If thou hadst dyde for Bread.
But that which made my soule to dye.
My flesh and fleshly villany,

That allso made thee dead.

That Flesh is there mine eyes deny.
And what should flesh but flesh discry,

The noblest sence of five
If glorious bodies pass the sight,

Shall they be food and strength and might.

Even there where they deceive .'

Into my soule this cannot pass.

Flesh (though exalted) keeps his grass.

And cannot turn to soule.
Bodyes and Minds are different spheres,
Nor can they change their bounds and meres.

But keep a constant pole.

This gift of all gifts is the best.
Thy flesh the least that I request.

Thou took'st that pledge from mee.
Give mee not that I had before.
Or give mee that so I have more.

My God, give mee all Thee.

--
The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among
you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the