[Magdalen] Eternal Father, Strong to Save

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 19:03:40 UTC 2017

I also heard, but just one time, and then never again, that the captain of
the container ship waited an HOUR before reporting the collision. AN HOUR.
Meanwhile, the captain of the destroyer was apparently MedEvaced off his
ship, since it was hit amidships and right in the bridge. Pardon me, but
WTF? Just WHO was asleep at the switch?

According to what I am able to piece together from the little information
that has come out, it was a clear night, and the container ship was to
starboard so it had right of way. Other than that, not much. Destroyers are
comparatively maneuverable; container ships are anything but. This happened
in a reasonably busy seaway, on an approach, I believe, to Tokyo harbor.
And that's what I know. Anyone want to add more pieces to the puzzle?