[Magdalen] Operation London Bridge

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Fri Mar 17 16:23:50 UTC 2017

David Strang, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> simon at kershaw.org.uk writes:
>
> prayers  to use at public
> worship on the Sunday after the anouncement. These have  all been written
> by the Liturgical Commission, approved by Buckingham
> Palace>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> As with Royal weddings, I suspect the Eucharist will not be
> publicly featured in any events related to the funeral (in this  case).
> IOW, there will be no public Requiem Mass, though perhaps
> there will be for the immediate family.

Requiem and nuptial masses or eucharists are not usual in the Church of
England. Although the CofE has moved on since the last demise of the Crown
in 1952, I would not expect there to be any offical CofE requiem or
funerary eucharist.

However, I would expect there to be prayers suitable for use at the
eucharist between the death and the funeral, and these may well be used in
a high-profile (and possibly televised) service at St Paul's Cathedral or
Canterbury Cathedral, as well as at countless parish churches across the
land. But whether any members of the royal family will be present is
another matter. It's plausible that the close family would attend church
on the Sunday morning, e.g. at Sandringham or Windsor.

simon

--
Simon Kershaw
simon at kershaw.org.uk