[Magdalen] Operation London Bridge

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 18 17:41:57 UTC 2017

>>>I agree, but I must confess that I pretty much refer to
the TEC Prayer Book and not the TEC Book of Common Prayer.<<<

I'm much the same, and have never truly felt comfortable with "BCP" after a co-worker once told me that our receptionist was at her doctor's "picking up her BCPs".

But my earliest and most lasting impression of the Book of Common Prayer is found in Tristram Shandy:

"  The cares and disquietudes of the
marriage state, quoth Mrs. Wadman, are
very great.  I suppose so -- said my
uncle Toby; and therefore when a per-
son, continued Mrs. Wadman, is so much
at his ease as you are -- so happy, captain
Shandy, in yourself, your friends, and
your amusements -- I wonder what rea-
sons can incline you to the state ----

  ---- They are written, quoth my un-
cle Toby, in the Common-Prayer Book."

>>>I was trying to locate my "Green Prayer Book" and my copy of
the "Zebra Prayer Book" recently.  I'm afraid I'm doing a
Mason Martens double shelving in my old age, and my progeny
will find them after my visit to the crematorium.<<<

I used to own the "Green Book" (as I heard it called on at least a couple occasions), but alas sold it as part of my "Complete American Book of Common Prayer Set" eBay sale in 2003.  (I included a modern printing of the REC BCP just for the helluvit.)