[Magdalen] Calendar question

Jo Craddock jocraddock at gmail.com
Tue May 9 17:25:32 UTC 2017

All Saints' is, as I read the BCP, the only feast day that is mentioned
as being moved to the following Sunday (in addition to or in place of
observance on Nov. 1 , p. 15, section 1, paragraph 2). There is no such
provision for Ascension Day, as I read it, unless, of course, it's the
parish name...then, it may fall under section 2, paragraph 2 on p. 16
(as Scott observed). But, ICBW.

It seems to me the thought about "after" comes from the All Saints'
note, and, perhaps, some reinforcement that some of our seasons only
*begin* on the more widely observed secular day (e.g., Christmas and
Easter), but I see no preference for single-day observances in the BCP
to follow that line of thinking.

The dates I mentioned were just pulled out of a hat. At St. James BR
we've observed it, generally, on the Sunday nearest the 25th, whether
that's before or after. In scheduling summer 2017, an interesting
discussion of the BCP rubrics ensued. What could a parish that generally
closed in the summer do, etc.?

Peace,
Jo